Tuesday, October 27, 2009

HACCP

In September 2009 I was informed by the FDA that either our South Korean suppliers of seed abalone or of future wholesaler to market or ourselves require someone to have a HACCP plan. I decided to keep full control and I’m doing this myself.

I’m working through Cornell University Seafood HACCP program which I hope to have all 12 modules completed by Christmas 2009 and then onto the North Carolina State University 2 day program to finish the certification requirements for FDA. In the mean time the quarantine / processing building and plant / equipment which is at 65% completed is on hold until this last regulation is complete.

We have been in contact with out South Korean suppliers and working for a March 2010 delivery of abalone to North Carolina. A staff member in December 2009 will make a visit to the abalone farms in South Korea to confirm our requirements.

The FDA along with the Fish/Wildlife will finally completed the long and sometimes difficult task of getting full approval to operate an abalone farm either here in North Carolina or anywhere else in the U.S.A.

The next people wanting to do this will not have any of the issues I have had but that’s life.

Like abalone good thing take time.

No comments:

Post a Comment